Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Slow-Cooked Korean Roast


This is my meager attempt at bulgogi with the ingredients I could find in my fridge (hence the apple juice). Suggestions for a better (more authentic recipe) would be appreciated.

2-3 pounds top sirloin roast or meat of choice
fresh ground black pepper
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp chili sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds, preferably toasted
3-4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1-2 inches ginger, peeled and chopped
scallions for garnish.

1. Lightly dust meat with pepper and place in slow cooker.
2. Mix remainder ingredients, except scallions. Cover meat.
3. Allow to marinade (1 hour +).
4. Cook in slow cooker according to suggested manufacturer ingredients. (I usually start it on low before I leave for work in the morning and it is ready when I get home).
5. Before serving, the liquid from the slow cooker and cook down in a pan for a sauce, if desired.
6. Garnish with scallions and serve with either rice or noodles (see noodle salad below).

1 comment:

Ravi said...

So the dish turned out a little saly...maybe a little less soy sauce or some rice wine would have helped (per the Korean expert).