Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ranjana's Peanut Chutney (Dry)

2 cups Peanuts, shelled
10 cloves garlic, whole
10 Chili peppers, dry
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste

1. Remove shells from peanuts. If desired, lightly pan fry. Heat chili peppers over dry heat until warm.
2. Place peanuts, garlic, and peppers in blend and coarsely chop. The mixture will be moist.
3. Heat oil in pan over medium heat and then add chopped ingredients. The oil will cause the chutney to dry. Once it is dry, add salt to taste and any other spices desired.

This is the best of my understanding from the cook of this traditional Marathi recipe. As I try making it, I will post updates. I like the taste and the texture it adds to traditional Indian (or other) dishes. For some variations, different spices and herbs would also add different tastes.

Also, I forgot to mention that my initial interest in the recipe was as a breading, not a chutney. My plan was to use it as a breading to maybe fish or something of the sort.

No comments: