Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tuna ki Achar

So this may sound unappealing to many but I think it will work.

In an effort to lower my cholesterol, I am trying to eat more fish. I was craving tuna salad (the kind with mayo) the other day and thought it would be nice to have something like a mango-pickle or ginger-pickle that I could just come home, warm up some frozen paratha, and eat with some yogurt and my protein-filled tuna ki achar.

Unfortunately, I searched the internet for such a recipe and could not find anything, suprisingly. The following is the closest that I found so if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. Since part of the goals are decreasing my cholesterol, I was hoping for something that was not fried and more oil/vinegar based. When I actually try it, I will post the results.

From http://deepann.wordpress.com...
2 lb King fish, diced
1/2 c Ginger, thinly sliced
1/2 c Garlic, tinly sliced
10 Green chillies
1/4 cup Chilly Powder with vinegar to form paste
1 c vinegar
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tsp mustard seeds
Salt, to taste
Oil PRN

For marinade:
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp salt
Water PRN

1. Marinade fish piece and keep in refrigerator for half an hour. Then deep fry fish.
2. Heat oil in another pan. Add mustard seeds until pops occur, then curry leaves. Then ginger, garlic,, and chillies. Saute. Mix in chilly paste and saute.
3. Add vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Add the fish and simmer another 5-6 minutes. Additional water or vinegar can be added PRN.
4. Allow to cool and store in an air tight container.

No comments: