Monday, September 29, 2008

Chicken and Mulligatawny Soup

I just put this recipe in my new bigger and improved crock pot... I will let you know how it goes.  Recipe based one from Epicurious.

3 chicken breasts (half breasts), cubed to bite sized
1/2 bag frozen onions and peppers
1 cup lentils of choice
1 bag frozen mixture of carrots, celery, and onions
2 heaping tbsp garlic, minced
1 fat inch of ginger, diced or minced
1-2 tbsp garam masala
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
1/2 tsp coriander powder (optional)
1 apple, diced
6 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 can coconut milk
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped

1. Add all ingredients starting with the chicken and ending with the coriander powder to the crock pot.  I added them in the order I listed them so the chicken was closest the heat the bottom and other ingredients closer to the top.  I lightly mixed the ingredients while still trying to keep them separated in layers.  I then added the apples last so they remained on top.
2. Add stock and bay leaves.  Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours.  
3.  Add coconut milk and cilantro.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste and cook another 30-60 minutes or so.
4. Serve and enjoy.

No comments: