Monday, September 29, 2008

Peanut Chicken

Walking through the hospital one day, I was smelled peanut butter.  I came home and found a recipe on www.epicurious.com (Soba with Chicken and Peanut Sauce, Gourmet Jun 2007) that I then adapted into the following recipe.  I was amazed how fast it was and the texture of adding cucumber.

1 pound chicken, thinly sliced (I used breasts)
1 onion, 1 pepper or 1 cup frozen onions and peppers
1 tsp minced garlic (heaping)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1-2 tbsp chili sauce (I used a combination of the red kind you get at the chinese stores with the chicken on it and Frank's red hot)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup peanut butter
1 pound soba noodles
1 cucumber, sliced or diced

1.  In a large pot bring water or chicken stock to a boil.  Boil chicken for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.  Remove chicken and set aside. 
2.  Return water to a boil and cook noodles according to manufacture instructions. 
3.  While the chicken is boiling, saute 1 onions, peppers and garlic until clear onions soft.  Whisk in chili sauce, sesame oil, and peanut butter and heat.  Balance the thickness of the sauce with the chicken stock/water from the noodles.  (I ended up adding about a cup or so).
4.  Prior to serving, return the chicken to the sauce and add the cucumbers.  Serve over noodles.  
I think this recipe only took about 15 minutes from start to finish to make so it is great if you are in a hurry (or just in the mood for peanut butter).  I wonder how it would taste over greens rather than with noodles.  


No comments: